Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Daisy Days

Once every two weeks, I get a reprieve from pick-up duty. Christopher goes to tutoring, Sarah goes to Daisies ... and I don't have to pull into the (empty) school parking lot until 4:30. Since I usually leave the house at 2:30 to get the kids ... well, you do the math. Two extra hours of work/reading/fill in the bliss.

Today was Daisy Day. I have this editing project on the fast track, and I had been planning a marathon session. At 6:00 this morning, I already had the gears turning, ready to put the "Deadline Chicken" in the crockpot. Then I heard it ...

(*Cough* *Cough*) "Mom, I BAR-FED!"

Oh, poop. Making a mental note to discuss the developmental implications of Sarah's habit of dividing one syllable words, I open my eyes and concentrate on being concerned rather than annoyed. "You DID?!"

"Yup." I touch her head. Feels normal. "I don't wanna go to school today."

And there we have it, the bottom line. Trying to ascertain the source of the problem, I break into that monologue most mothers break out at a time like this.

"Really? But think of how much your teacher and classmates will miss you, and how much fun stuff you'll miss out on. And it will be so BORING here, since it's Lent and we don't turn on the TV. And you'll miss Daisies today, too ... And isn't it pizza for lunch at school?"

A baleful look is her only response. "Don't wanna go to school today," she repeats emphatically.

*sigh*

"Okay, you better go back to bed. I'll get Christopher and take him to school while you stay here with Dad."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Let Dad take Chris to school. I want YOOOOOOOOOOOU!"

Something in the tenor of her whine makes me decide that, one way or the other, this is a kid who needs an at-home day, Daisies or no Daisies. When Sarah gets really sick, the drama level goes through the roof.

"Here, let's tuck you in. Here's your book. I'll be back in ten minutes."

So, I'll have to wait two weeks for a Daisy Day. Today I'm playing SuperMom, dispensing equal parts chicken noodle soup, popsicles ... and good old fashioned TLC. Oh, and a VERY long nap!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Hello, I hopped over from Ladies of the House who featured a post you had written a while ago. I was wondering if I might have your permission to print it out to give to some mommy friends of mine that I think it may touch as deeply as it did me. Its about being invisible, but not to God.

On this post: My mom allowed for me to stay home from school once in awhile when I was really ok. She called them mental health days :-D We all need them.

Heidi Hess Saxton said...

Hi, Becky. Sure, you can reprint it ... just be sure to use the version of the post that credits the original author (I updated the post with that information as soon as someone sent it to me.)

Thanks! Heidi Saxton

MightyMom said...

yup, I hate to lose on that alone and productive time........but I love those sicky snuggles!! and HEY it's great when they only want you huh?

Sarah Reinhard said...

Hope she's feeling better...and hope you found a blessing hidden in the day you didn't plan to have... :)