Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"Grant the people's every request..."


The people have spoken, God help us ... and God has given them what they asked for. This immediately brought to my mind another time, in the Old Testament, when God did just that. From 1 Samuel 8.

Therefore all the elders of Israel came in a body to Samuel at Ramah and said to him, "Now that you are old, and your sons do not follow your example, appoint a king over us, as other nations have, to judge us." Samuel was displeased when they asked for a king to judge them. He prayed to the LORD, however, who said in answer: "Grant the people's every request. It is not you they reject, they are rejecting me as their king.

As they have treated me constantly from the day I brought them up from Egypt to this day, deserting me and worshiping strange gods, so do they treat you too. Now grant their request; but at the same time, warn them solemnly and inform them of the rights of the king who will rule them."


And with that, Samuel anointed Saul -- a man who had the admiration of all who saw him, the sheer physical presence of a king, but darkness in his heart.

When we ask God for something, in His infinite wisdom He sometimes gives us exactly what we want. Time will tell what lessons we will learn from it.

4 comments:

Therese said...

This was the scripture my husband quoted too when we heard Obama had won.

MightyMom said...

I don't know, I have a totally different take on it.

texassiren.blogspot.com

Lerin said...

Sobering thought... it is definitely going to be a dark time for the pro-life movement. We need to be on our knees before God more than ever!

deb said...

Oddly enough, this scripture came to mind also when I realized that Obama would be our president.