Sunday, July 20, 2008

Give a Kid Some Fresh Air!

Today the New York Times ran an article about the "Fresh Air Fund," which provides inner-city children with opportunities to experience a real summer vacation in the country.

While Craig and I have not participated in the program, I remember that my parents did do just this when I was about five. For two weeks, we hosted "Monique," a seven-year-old girl from Atlantic City. I can still remember the song she taught me about a bus driver.... I think she was the first African-American child I ever had a chance to know.

Sara Wilson, a coordinator for the Fresh Air Fund, has asked me (repeatedly) for assistance in placing 200 children before the August 1 deadline. If you would like more information, click on the title above, which will lead you directly to their site, or contact Sara directly here: sara@freshair.org.

No comments: