Friday, May 09, 2008

"Don't Be Weird, Mom!"

(This is a continuation of the series of articles reflecting on Come Be My Light and the spiritual motherhood of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, patron of adoptive and foster families, which I began earlier this year. For the original post, click the title.)
Sarah is an extraordinary walking paradox. She will parade around the house (and in public as often as I let her) with a mind-blowing array of fashion statements:


I applaud her budding confidence (insofar as it does not exceed the bounds of propriety). What puzzles me is that if I do anything the least bit unconventional ... breaking into an impromptu chorus of "Sunrise, Sunset" and a little softshoe while I'm washing dishes, say, Sarah will invariably give me her stock response:
"Don't be weird, Mom! People will think you're weird!"

To which I respond, "Let them! The only thing that really matters is what God thinks of me, what I think of myself ... and, to a different degree, what my family thinks about me."


Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not someone who typically flouts social convention on a whim. I love high teas and ballroom dancing and all manner of things traditional (it's part of why I'm Catholic!). But when it comes to deciding standards of personal conduct, I learned a long time ago that "going with the crowd" is not always the wisest course of action.


This has a particular application to foster and adoptive parents. More than most parents, our children are going to have special emotional and other challenges that are going to make other people's eyebrows go up with alarming frequency, especially in the beginning.

It happened the time my son punched the priest in the breadbasket for reaching out to bless him at Mass. And the following week, when my son (who had been hearing about his friend "Father Will" all week) greeted the elderly priest by patting the front of the man's vestments as high as his two-year-old hands could reach. Come to think of it, it was right around the time of the scandals, too...

It happened the time my daughter drew a picture of her daddy in bed with her for the counselor (Craig has a nightly ritual of laying down next to her to read a bedtime story; the book was strangely absent in the picture). The next time it was a picture of mommy and daddy brandishing a L-O-O-N-G a whip (I still don't know where that one came from, except maybe a horse scene in "Beauty and the Beast").

It happened when my son's first preschool teacher informed me that I was obviously neglecting my 4-year-old son's needs because he didn't use a napkin properly, and because he kept using words like "dead" and "kill." (I wondered if the word his classmates had taught him -- stupid -- was so much better.)

It happens. And other people -- those who don't know your family -- ARE going to judge you for it. Get ready for it ... the disapproving looks, the heavy sighs, the hesitance to accept playdates. Get ready for the tons of unsolicited advice from grandparents, social workers, and total strangers about how you need to be "controlling" your children better.

I'm not saying don't take the advice. Some veteran parents might give you some truly useful information with regard to managing stress, or potty training. But don't expect them to understand, and don't try to live up to someone else's idea of perfect parenting. As a foster parent (or adoptive parent of an older child), there are going to be times when you need to march to another tune. Make a different choice. Try an unconventional method.

Don't worry. If it's a mistake, you can usually correct it mid-course. If the advice givers are real friends or if they truly love you, they will still be around years from now when the fruit of your labor ripens, and that wild little creatures is transformed into the radiant young man or woman who loves God and does what is right.

It's OK to be weird when God takes you along a different path. Trust Him to give you the wisdom you need, exactly when you need it.


Let nothing trouble you,
let nothing frighten you.
All things pass away,
but God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
She who possesses God, has everything.
For God alone suffices.
Teresa of Avila


1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

those pics are GREAT

and so is the post :)