Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The "Love Box"


Do you have traditions that go along with funerals and bereavement?
My dear friend Katy is flying back from her vacation early to be with her father in the last days of his life. I've met Mr. Clark several times (though Katy has 12 brothers and sisters, so it would be understandable if he didn't recall seeing me in with the mass of humanity).

I'm making a batch of the cookies he loved to send up with Katy to share with her family. As I bake them, I'm remembering how touched Johnnette was from the care package I left at her office after Tony's funeral. I'm wondering if any of you have a traditional gift or symbol of concern and care that you like to give someone who is grieving.

In Johnnette's box, I put:

A small box of "Good-Bye Cookies" (molasses crisp cookies that are dark and sweet, and a little hard -- just like saying goodbye.)

A china teacup and saucer (a little fragile beauty to pamper and soothe) with herbal tea

A box of Godiva chocolates (no explanation needed)

A copy of A Severe Mercy, by Sheldon Vanauken (one of the best love stories of all time, written by a student of C.S. Lewis')

Some pretty writing paper (I remember how cathartic it was to write when Missy passed away, and thought Johnnette might like it, too.)

All of it in a decorated photo box that she could slide under the bed and pull out when needed.
I thought I'd share the idea, in case you need it, too.

No comments: