Monday, January 18, 2010

Can Can Girls --- Bah, Humbug

Today over at EMN I write about our visit at Kalahari Water Park in Sandusky, Ohio.

At the risk of sounding like an aging old prune, I gotta tell ya ... I gained a renewed respect for the effects of aging on the body after a day of casting myself (alternating head-first and feet-first) into various wave formations. Let's just say I was sorely (seriously) tempted to blow a week's grocery money on the second-floor spa. I ached. All over.

Just as painful, though, was the realization that I am officially Invisimom. We always wound up behind a bevvy of sweet young things (I dubbed them "Can Can Girls" - "cute and nubile" with swimsuits hardly bigger than a postage stamp). They would zip through the lines, giving the young men whiplash, so quickly did heads turn, while I languished with two screaming kids, waiting for our chance to launch. (When at last we were noticed, it usually involved a shrill whistle blast.)

Don't get me wrong. I had fun. The kids fell into bed, exhausted, at night. Craig and I read, swam, strolled, and ate. We had dinner together EVERY NIGHT. And we both were able to nap to our hearts' content (not at the same time ... one of us had to keep an eye on the water.)

At the same time, it made me realize that time is indeed marching on. The kids are growing, and if I blink again I'm sure it will be Sarah that causes the neckstrain (though you'd better believe her suit will be SIGNIFICANTLY larger than a postage stamp).

It's Monday night. Back to the trenches.

No comments: